Right now I am mainly using 1095 high carbon steel on my knives. Please feel free to comment below. Any tips and tricks I can learn are always welcome. I can’t wait to learn how to make really wavy hamons.
1095 Heat Treat Process
- I put the knife in the oven and set it to 1470 F.
- When the oven reaches set temp I start checking for critical with a magnet.
- As soon as the blade is non-magnetic, I let it soak for 8 to 10 minutes.
- After the soak, I go straight to an oil quench.
- I edge quench for 25 seconds
- Then full dip in the oil
- Then it’s straight into the oven for tempering.
- I temper twice at 450 F for one hour with 30 minute ramp.
I’m getting some decent hamon activity so far, hoping to keep that up.