Ok another Sinner recurve bowie is complete. I just wanted to post about this one to highlight some of the changes done to this variant since the first one/prototype. This one posed all the normal fun challenges as most hidden tangs do. Guard fitting, spacer glue up/alignment, and through tang handle pin were a challenge as always lol.
Now, for some of those changes. On this one, I contoured the spine and under the ricasso area. Even though you really can’t get your finger in that area above the guard I thought it would nice to have that area rounded aesthetically to match the spine.
Next, I completely redesigned the guard shape itself. I decided that nice sweeping curves would be a better feel, and flow with the design of the blade better. It still has a press fit nickel silver guard like it’s predecessor, but this one also has the addition of vulcanized black paper spacers in between more nickel silver.
Another thing is the butt end of the handle was shaped much rounder and more “egg shaped” you could say. I think that really help to set off that spalted maple burl handle all the more. The blade shape itself went unchanged. I didn’t want to refine on that too much so it stays true to it’s original design in the end.
I hope you guys like this more refined version of the Sinner. I feel like I’ll be making many more of these in the future…or I hope to anyway. If you’d like to see the rest of the finished images, jump over to the gallery and check them out Here.
Thanks for visiting the site, and thanks for checking out the posts. I really do appreciate it. Come back anytime.
New Knife Design
Here is a new knife design I drew up recently. I’ve already decided to go with the Cape as a new design as you can see below.
This is the caping knife design. This knife will be good for caping/skinning or just your everyday carry option. It’s not too big to be cumbersome, and not too small to handle the business. Also, add some black g10 or canvas micarta and It’ll have a very tactical look to it. This is going to be a great all around knife. If interested I’ll be adding this to the Custom Order page.
Please don’t hesitate to give your input/comments. I look forward to it.
Thanks for stopping by,
Rival Friction Folder Prototype
This little guy is starting to come along now. Profiling the little blade has been a bit of a challenge. It isn’t easy to hold it at all, mostly due to it heats up super quick on the 2×72. I don’t mind the challenge. I’m actually loving the not knowing part of it all. Kind of weird probably, but fun none the less.
I’m about to start working on the spacer for the butt of the handle tomorrow. For now it’s going to be pinned and epoxied on this one. I’m starting to lean toward making a liner lock after this. I’m not sure, sort of will depend on how all of you react to it. If you guys seem to like it, I’ll make some more. If not, I’ll move straight to finishing up my design of a liner lock (Yes one is in the works).
Well, with that said, if you’re a maker and have some tips for me please leave them in the comments. I’d love to hear from you, and learning more during the process couldn’t hurt. As always, thanks a lot for stopping by, and I appreciate your attention. I’m definitely not a writer.
You can see all the updated photos on my Facebook page Here: Walter White Knives
Stop back by anytime, I look forward to your comments.
Rival Completed – Video
It has begun!!!!
You may see ugly welds. I’m by no means a pro.
This is all I could get done for today. 2×72 chassis is unpainted, but welded up. Motor should be here late next week (hopefully). Had a couple mishaps along the way today, welded the main tower piece on facing the wrong way, so I had to grind it off and redo it (Bit of a red face for a minute there). That’s ok, it’s all in the learning process.
I still haven’t found a VFD in my price range just yet, but the search is on without a doubt. I still need to get the start/stop buttons, and potentiometer. There’ll be plenty of wiring to do when I get everything else sourced. I just wanted to post some progress.
A BIG thanks to D. Comeau Custom Knives for his awesome article on his 2×72 build. I used his design and tweaked it a little where the tracking wheel will be. I’ll be adding a gas shock on that arm for the belt change. It’s a great article, you can check it out HERE.
Here’s some progress photos:
Chassis after welding.
Chassis primed…can’t wait for the motor to get here.
Stand almost completed, chassis painted, and stand has its first coat on it. I’ll be adding more to the stand soon. (attachment storage section). More to come….keep checking back.
Motor came in. Took off the cover, taped it up, and painted it to match.
Made a TON of progress. The rest of my parts came in, and I got busy. It is nearly complete. All I need to do now is make a tool rest for it, and start planning the attachments I want to make. Sorry the garage was a little messy when I took the pics.
Short Video in Action
I’ll post more pics here as I make more progress. So check back when you can, and thanks for looking.
Hey guys. Just wanted to share this deal I got. Found this beauty on Facebook for $35 with no clue if it actually ran. I’ve cleaned it up a little bit, still need to sand down the table to get the surface rust off, and clean and paint the base it’s sitting on. Now for the cool part…..the only wrong with it was the start capacitor on the motor. $7 dollars and a little time, and it runs beautifully. It’s quite, smooth, and the tracking and tension adjustment all works perfectly. All that’s left is that final clean up and a couple new blades.
Ok, I was super excited about this find and had to share it. I hope everyone is having a great weekend, and Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there.